Iceland is full of beautiful areas that are brilliant for a hike during the weekends. This packing list is made specifically for one day hikes and includes all essential items for your adventure in Icelandic highland.
Please note that this packing list and guide is a summer and early fall edition.
What to bring on a one-day-hike
- Backpack – waterproof in case of rain
- Reusable water bottle – to fill up with delicious Icelandic spring water on your journey
- Icelandic cash – it is customary to pay about 200 ISK for a toilet visit at the base camps
- Lunch pack – I highly recommend buying a wrap from Lamb Street Food in Grandi in Reykjavík unless you make your own lunch pack
- Towel – invest in a lightweight, fast drying hiking towel
- Swimsuit – especially if you are going to Landmannalaugar, but often you just bump into somewhere you’ll want to go for a dip
- Rain pants – unless you are wearing water proof and not just water resistant hiking trousers
- Sunscreen – SPF 30+ and lip balm recommended during summer
- Personal belongings – wallet, keys, medications, extra contact lenses etc.
What to wear for a one-day-hike
- Hiking trousers
- Merino wool base layer shirt
- Fleece or thermo mid layer shirt
- Waterproof shell jacket
- Wollen socks
- Hiking boots
- Sports underwear
Wonder where you should go for the perfect one day hike in Iceland? Read this article with the three best hiking areas in driving distance from Reykjavík.